Have you ever used a QR Code??? Scanned a QR code from a restaurant menu , or shopped using a QR code??? Have you picked up one of your favorite magazines lately to find QR codes inside or even seen them on tv????
I recently received a bill & an option to pay the bill was via scanning the QR code. The QR Code took me to a website to pay a bill. It was easy & convenient.
This seems to be a new way to shop in 2022. Which leads me to investigate /answer a few questions about QR Codes for you today.
What are QR Codes???
Better known as Quick Response Codes. These little scannable codes can hold a vast amount of information about new products. Users can engage with new unfamiliar products, gaining insights & instant information.
When did they become important????
QR codes have been around for at least 10 plus years and are not new in the world of education… teachers have been building scavenger hunts & other types of lessons based on QR Code learning for the last several years.
QR Code usage has grown leaps & bounds in the business world in the last few years, seeing an increase in use by 94-96 percent!!! Usage can be attributed to more shoppers having smart phones with the ability to read QR codes without using a separate app. During Covid, QR codes provided a contactless way for consumers to interact with new products, gain insights, or even watch video tutorials.
QR Codes are easy to use. Just open the camera app, scan the code and a link pops up to take you to a website, or even watch a video !
Who is using them???
Millennials & Gen Z
⁃ 22 percent of US population are Millennials ( born in years of 1981-1996)
⁃ Millennials are largest spending sector of the US population!
⁃ Millennial Generation was the first “connected” generation with the internet at their fingertips.
⁃ Convenience is priority for millennial customers as well as using product reviews. QR Codes hold a wealth of information right at your fingertips!
⁃ Gen Z- those born after 1996, do not know a time before the internet and spend significant time online every day. Both millennials and Gen Z are willing to try new technologies in order to shop.
⁃ Gen Z- prefer brands or business should be innovative, & go “green “. They would love a business that is working on cutting edge technology & saving the planet 🌎 by wasting less resources in paper print media.
We had a minister several years ago and he included this phrase in his sermon every Sunday. The “So What” portion of his sermon was the crucial part of the sermon. The “so what” was the ultimate “take away” or words to remember from the sermon. So here it is, the “so what” of QR Codes.
1. QR Codes are everywhere and companies are encouraging people to use them. Smart phone usage as you shop or checking out is just becoming more mainstream.
2. QR Codes hold a wealth of information at your fingertips.
3. The Millennial & Gen Z are using technology to shop online and in retail stores. Businesses need to meet consumers where they are in order to stay competitive.
4. Look 👀 for QR Codes at Wilkes County Hardware to help you learn more about new products. Scan & use these QR Codes or even ask us to help you navigate how to recognize a QR Code on your phone. We are here to help!!!
5. Stay posted on for another blog post just for you on QR Codes usage inside Wilkes County Hardware!!!