Tag Archives: cooler weather
Fall is… A Mosaic of Everyday Beauty
The colors of Fall is distinctively different from any other season of the year. The Fall season is truly a mosaic of colors of the rainbow… green, gold, red, orange, & brown set against the bright blue sky.
Our natural world which we have grown accustomed to during the summer, suddenly changes into a magical world of autumnal colors, happening almost overnight it seems. I’m sharing my favorite, everyday hardware life Fall photos with y’all today to celebrate the season of Fall using the caption of Fall is…
Good Sunday morning!!!
Sharing my “best of” summer morning sunrise photos from 2020. Did y’all know the first day of Fall is officially on the way this week… Tuesday September 22nd???
This morning our temperature was around 40… definitely beginning to feel more like fall mornings around here. Who is happy to see Fall coming??? 🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁
FYI: Most of these photos are taken right outside my in my backyard…
I’ll leave these words with y’all today as we prepare for the next season… I’m finding it maybe good wisdom for life in 2020…
“Every season is not a growing season, & every season will not bring a harvest. There are seasons of planting, watering, weeding & fertilizing the ground. All seasons are crucial & important. Have Faith in waiting through each season.”
Hygge “hoo-gah” in the Fall Season
What is hygge? It is a Danish word for coziness, warmth, & comfortable living which brings about a feeling of contentment. Celebrate the everyday moments with ease… the art of simple living right???? This sounds really easy in theory but can we all slow down in life and truly put this into practice? I read about this about a year or so ago. I have not tried to put this into true practice yet. My life has always been extremely full of work, family and activities. Now that my lifestyle has changed dramatically, with retirement, I am devoting more energy and efforts into putting Hygge into our routines in daily living. Small progress is progress. Keep moving in the direction in which you wish to go. Right???
Hygge can be accomplished anytime of the year, but Autumn would make a great transition to begin practicing Hygge. So this is a personal goal of mine to put this into motion as I write this and no time like the present??? Today I am going only to focus on 5 key elements to bring in Hygge into your home- yes, these items can be located as conveniently in your local hardware store or even within your home.
- Lighting- This is a crucial element to bring Hygge into your home. Natural lighting can help to improve your productivity, happiness, calmness, & health. Wherever you can let the natural light flow in just do it!!!! Then think soft lighting- Mrs. Meyers scented candles, string lights, lamp lights, etc. Soft lighting areas creates a space that is soothing, calming and relaxing. I love to use string lights year round. One of my favorite places for string lights is around my kitchen window that overlooks my backyard. Early morning or late evenings, it is beautiful to see these lights glowing softly. The string lights have created “cozy corners” in my home. Lamp lighting helps to add softness/comfortable Hygge feeling to your home. We have customers who love their old lamps and they need repair parts for them. Our team members can help them find the replacement parts or even sometimes will do repair for them if it is more in depth than the customer expected.
- Bring the Outdoors Inside your Home- Autumn time is an easy time to bring the outdoors into your home. Decorate your home with pumpkins, pinecones, acorns, sticks, or any other all natural items that remind you of the Fall season. Handcrafted wooden bowls from our local artisans inside Wilkes County Hardware, would make a nice addition to your home decor. Don’t forget to add in greenery from the great outdoors or update your house plants with new pots. So many great options as the fall season begins. To add some Hygge to our home this year, I took one of my favorite wooden bowl that was filled with sea shells and added a few fall accents to the bowl. It has been so hot here in our state that it did not seem practical for me to put up my beautiful shells yet. I have the outdoors inside in a unique, rustic way.
- Food and Drinks- Yeah!!!! This is truly the comfort part of Hygge in my thinking. Oh my goodness, nothing is better than your favorite “comfort food meal” on a cool Fall day right???? We love homemade soups/chili at our house in the Fall and Winter. Fall season is the perfect time for soups, stews, & casseroles. Is there nothing better than hot, homemade biscuits made in a Lodge pan or even freshly made cornbread???? The possibilities are endless. Gather your family with one of your favorite comfort meals and set up candlelight- going back to number one- soft lighting. Enjoy the family time laughing, and slowing down life one meal at a time. Speaking of slowing down, Hygee experts suggest that you should plan to make a dessert once a week…. make what you love and enjoy it…. Well, I guess I need to work on that one too!!! When it comes to drinks for the Fall season- think warm!!!! Hot cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolate or even hot apple cider. Curl up with a blanket and just get comfortable.
- Create Hygge Experiences with the Family- Hygee is keeping things simple… host a game night with your family or invite friends, enjoy a firepit… this goes back to number 1- lighting …. fire light is very soothing to the soul. Kids and most adults love to do S’mores – Wilkes County Hardware can make your S’mores experience great- 31 inch skewers!!!! They work great and are safe for kids to use. Think about how you could “unplug from the busy workings of the world”. It could be a movie night with no cell phones, or playing card games, the possibilities are endless. Creating family Hygee experiences should slow the pace of living down, and help bring family together in a new way.
- Get Outside- It is time to connect to nature and disconnect from the world of technology. Yes, even working in your yard in the fall can be a great way to unwind from a long work week. Raking leaves with that new rake from Wilkes County Hardware, or working in your garden, in the cooler weather can help you to feel content as the seasons change. Take your family and go on a hike/walk, find a pumpkin patch and scout out the perfect pumpkin, pick apples at an orchard, the choices are endless!!!! Sometimes you just need to step outside, get a bit of fresh air, and remind yourself of who you are and what you want to be…..the end result of Hygge- connectedness to nature and self.
I hope that you find these tips to helpful as the seasons change, and as seasons in life change. Happy Hygge Fall:)
Thanksgiving Blessings and Memories…
Most of the leaves are gone off the trees now here in Wilkes. You can still spot a few beautiful trees along your daily path like this lovely one in the photo today. The “season of sticks” is now upon us! Thanksgiving week is coming up next week which brings me to reflect upon the many blessings we have been given. In reflection, I used to hate this time of year after the leaves 🍁 🍁🍁🍁fall because of the barren look of the trees. This year, I’m reframing my vision to call it the “season of sticks”. Who did not love walking in the woods as a kid picking up and finding the best walking stick?
I’m also blessed with many special family and friends who are an essential part of my life. We are truly blessed to be a part of a great community here in Wilkes County and are so happy to be of service to our customers everyday. Thank you for your continued support of our store. Richard & I wish you all a blessed Thanksgiving.
Many great Thanksgiving memories are coming to mind…. Raking leaves 🍁 on Thanksgiving before the big meal, Benjamin’s always used to ask Dad to ride on the golf cart & to go hunt for turkeys before Thanksgiving😂. My Dad always humored him & they rode through the neighborhood, checking the wooded areas carefully for any signs of “native wildlife”. Benjamin is growing up too quickly & that tradition is long gone but the memories are long lasting.
Happy Thanksgiving 🍁 to you & your family from Wilkes County Hardware ! Enjoy making some new Thanksgiving memories this year 😊.
#WilkesCountyHardware #thehardwarelife #thehardwarelifeisagoodlife #thankful #blessedlife #thanksforshoppingwithus #thanksgiving #thanksgivingmemories #thanksgiving2018 #thankyou #vintagehardware #historichardware #wilkescounty #wilcolife #wilkescountync #wilkes #november #hometownhardware #wedooldschool #localplacesarethebestplaces #shoplocal #shopsmall #shopwithus #shoppinglocaladvantage #downtownnorthwilkesboro #ShopsonTenth #memoriesmade #readytohelpyou #sittingbythewoodstove #ourcustomersareawesome #smalltowncharm #downtownnorthwilkesboro